This article is about how to check the balance of UAN, PF, and EPF. Also, how to inquire about PF and status check. further are steps for pf balance check with uan number.
EPF or PF is?
- EPF is called Employees Provident Fund which is a retirement saving scheme that is overseen by the Employees Provident Fund Organisation or EPFO.
- The scheme is available for all salaried employees across the country. It is compulsory for all the companies who have over 20 employees to register with the EPFO.
How exactly does the EPF saving work?
- 12% of your salary goes in your EPF account each month.
- In addition to that, each month, your employer has to grant an equal 12% of your salary. Out of the employer’s granted 12% amount, 8.33% goes towards pension, and remaining 3.67% goes to your EPF account.
- This adds up to the saving in your EPF account. Also, this saving earns an interest of 8% – 12%. This interest rate is determined by the government and a board of trustees. The current interest rate is 8.65%.
- All of this, over the years, leads to a substantial saving that you can use upon retirement.
What is a UAN?
- Each and every employee registered for EPF is allocated a unique 12-digit number called Universal Account Number or UAN.
- UAN has simplified all the processes that are related to EPF.
- With UAN, when you change jobs, you don’t have to maintain separate EPF accounts. They are all unified and treated as one under UAN.
- Once you get your UAN, you have to activate it online. Check our article for details regarding this activation.
6 Ways using which you can check EPF balance
Our PF is the most significant saving, hence it is highly recommended that you check and find out your balance regularly. There are a number of ways in which you can do this.
1. Check EPF balance using UAN
After the activation of your UAN, you can easily check your balance by downloading your EPF passbook. The passbook is similar to your bank passbook and it shows all the deposits and withdrawals (if any).
- Log into the EPFO website.
- Enter your UAN and password. (Read this article to know how to register on the member portal)
- After that, click on ‘Login‘.
- Your EPF passbook will be displayed.
- It will show all the details including– your monthly PF amount contribution, your employer’s monthly PF amount contribution, your employer’s monthly amount contribution towards your pension scheme, withdrawals, and your latest balance.
2. You can check EPF balance by using UAN to get regular SMS.
- You need to activate UAN from the EPFO website. (Read this article to know how).
- Once you activate your UAN, you will receive an SMS each month which will display your contribution and your EPF balance.
- Do remember that once you have activated, it may take up to 45 days for you to receive the first SMS.
3. You can also check EPF balance by giving a missed call
- You have to give a missed call on 011 – 22901406 from your registered mobile number.
- You will then receive an SMS with details of your last contribution and EPF balance, as well as your other personal details as the date of birth, UAN, and KYC status.
4. You can check EPF balance by sending an SMS
- You have to send an SMS to 7738299899 from your registered mobile number.
- Message format should be as follows: EPFOHO UAN <ENG> (ENG refers to ‘receiving the message in English’).
- You can also receive the message in 10 different Indian languages such as– English (ENG), Hindi (HIN), Telugu (TEL), Punjabi (PUN), Gujarati (GUJ), Marathi (MAR), Malayalam (MAL), Tamil (TAM), Kannada (KAN), and Bengali (BEN).
- After you send this message, you will receive an SMS with all the EPF balance details.
5. Check your EPF balance by using your PF number.
- Go to the EPFO website.
- Below, you will find ‘Click here to Know Your PF Balance’.
- Click on this link and it will take you to the EPFO website.
- After that, you have to select your state.
- Then select your establishment code.
- Then enter your PF account number, name, and registered mobile number.
- Then click on the ‘I Agree‘ checkbox.
- Finally, click on ‘Submit‘ button.
- All the details including your latest EPF balance will be displayed.
6. Check your EPF balance by using the official mobile app
- Download the official EPF mobile app from the Google Play store or from the EPFO website.
- Enter your UAN and registered mobile number on this app and it will show you your latest EPF balance and other details.
- But you need to have activated your UAN before checking the balance on the app. However, this app also lets you activate your UAN.
So, you can use any of the above-mentioned ways to keep yourself updated about your EPF status. If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave a comment below.