Permanent Retirement Account Number i.e. PRAN, was introduced on 1st Jan 2004. This is applicable and mandatory for the central and state government employees till date. Any central/state employee who joined service after 2004, gets enrolled in the National Pension System (NPS) automatically.  You can also apply for PRAN on official National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) website. You have to fill the application form for PRAN card and then submit it to your nearest POP-SP.


What is PRAN Kit?

Once you are registered for PRAN, you receive a PRAN kit. This PRAN kit consists of a PRAN card subscriber and an information booklet. It also contains T-PIN and I-PIN to the associated nodal office. The PRAN card is basically a document that has subscriber’s name, father’s name, photograph and signature/thumb impression.

How to apply for duplicate PRAN card?

When your PRAN card is lost or damaged, you can request a duplicate PRAN card. Just remember that need to have your PRAN number which is mandatory for duplication of PRAN card. And also remember that you have to fill this form with black ink only and in capital letters.

  • You need to fill Form S2 to request a duplicate PRAN card. Click here to download this form.
  • Carefully read the instructions given at the bottom of the form.
  • The 1st box is for DDO and PAO purpose, therefore, don’t fill it.
  • You need to fill all your personal details correctly. You have to fill your Nominee details including the percentage share of each nominee. Fill all the details of the 3 nominees correctly.
  • There is an option for minors to fill guardian details.
  • Finally, select the reason for requesting duplicate PRAN card.
  • Fill your name with capital and date of request of PRAN along with your signature in the given columns.
  • Recheck all the details for mistakes. If anything is found wrong, your application will be rejected.

What to do after filling the S2 From?

You have to submit this form to the respective Drawing and Disbursing Office (DDO) and similar departments in State Governments and Union Territories/State Autonomous Bodies. Click here to find your nearest DDO/POP-SP. Select your location and all the offices nearby will be displayed.

Your application will be verified by the Pay and Accounts Office (PAO). After verification, they will authorize your request in the Credit Rating Agency (CRA) system. Once completed, your fresh duplicate PRAN card will be printed and will be sent to the respective nodal officer for distribution. IF anything is found wrong in your application, then it will be rejected and you will receive a notification about it. You will then have to resubmit your form with correct details.

For any queries or suggestions, leave a comment below.

Share post with: