Let me start by saying that there is absolutely no way you can close an SBI bank account online. You will have to go to your home branch to close your account. The procedure is same for both the Savings and Salary accounts of SBI. I’ve listed below simple steps following which you can close your SBI bank account.
How To Close Sbi Bank Account
Remember the following before you close your SBI bank account.
- You will not be allowed to re-open your account again.
- You have to make the balance in your account to Zero before beginning with the account closure procedure.
- Clear all the pending dues (if any) before closing the account.
- For future reference, it is a good practice to take the complete bank statement of your bank account before closing it.
The SBI Account Closure form can be downloaded here.
Simple 3 step process to close your SBI bank account
As I mentioned at the start, you cannot close the account online. Therefore, go to your SBI home branch and follow the steps given below.
1] Fill the form to close the account:
You will have to fill the complete form along with the following details:
- The Name of the account holder.
- Account number.
- Registered mobile number.
- In what way will you like to transfer the remaining balance from the account:
- Demand Draft
- Transfer to other accounts online.
- Signature of the account holder on the form.
1] Debit card: You have to return the debit card when you submit the application for account closure. If you have cash left in the account that you want to withdraw from ATM, then do that before this procedure.
2] Chequebook: Same thing with the cheque book also. Make your Cheque transaction before this.
3] Passbook: You have to hand this over to bank as it has no use anyway.
3] Additional Documents
Some branches may ask you ask for your ID card and Address proof before closing your account. So it is better if you keep these documents with you.
How to know if the account is closed or not?
Once your account is closed you will be notified by an email as well as by an SMS on your registered email ID and mobile number. They also have a toll-free number 1800112211. You can call on this number for any questions or issues that you face.
SBI Account Closing Fees
1] Savings Bank Account (excluding Basic & Small Accounts opened under Financial Inclusion)
- If they are closed under 14 days of opening, then no fee is charged.
- After 14 days, for individuals, Rs 500 +ST is charged and for small companies/non-individuals, Rs 1000 +ST is charged.
2] Current Account
- For power pack, it is charged Rs.1,000 + ST
- For Power Gain, it is charged Rs.1,000 + ST
- For Power POS Power Jyoti, it is charged Rs.1,000 + ST
Many complaints have complained that they have been wrongfully charged. For such or any other issues, I’m leaving below all the SBI Customer Care numbers. You can call on them and sort out your problems.
- 1800 11 2211 (toll-free)
- 1800 425 3800 (toll-free)
For any more questions or suggestions, please leave a comment below.