CIF number and CIF code are such terms that a person who does banking, comes across quite often. Many of us don’t know what these numbers mean and what is their importance. So, I’ll explain you in detail what this CIF number/code means and also show you how you can find this out online or offline.
CIF number means “Customer Information File”. This is unique for each and every customer.
What exactly is this CIF number?
- It is a digital or virtual file that contains all your important banking details.
- This number is an 11-digit unique number which represents the file.
- If the customer has many accounts, then all these accounts are linked to this one CIF number that is assigned to the customer. Therefore, no matter how many accounts you hold, you will have only 1 CIF number.
- It is used by the bank when it wants to retrieve all the personal and financial information of the customer.
- This information includes details regarding the customer’s loans, credit, etc. It also includes all the KYC details of the customer like their identity details, address, and photo ID.
- This helps the bank to view all the accounts’ information of the customer easily in one place.
How can find out the CIF number/code?
You can find out your CIF number both online or offline easily. I’ve shown here the process for SBI, but it is similar to other banks as well.
Online Ways To Find CIF Number
1] Using Internet Banking
- Log into your SBI bank’s Internet Banking facility using your username and password.
- Then select Account Statement (E-Statement) for a particular period of time.
- Then, your Account Summary page will be displayed along with your CIF number and other details.
2] Using Mobile App
You can simply download the SBI Anywhere App. It will also show you the CIF number.
Offline Ways To Find CIF Number
1] You can find CIF number in your SBI Cheque Book
- Take your Cheque Book and open the first page.
- Your CIF number will be printed on this page.
2] You can find CIF number in your SBI Passbook
Your CIF number is mostly printed on the very first page of your bank passbook along with your account details.
3] You can ask your CIF number by calling Customer Care
Simply call the customer care number of your bank. Then verify all your details and ask them for your CIF number. The toll-free Customer Care numbers for SBI are 1800 11 2211, 1800 425 3800 and 080-26599990.
4] You can visit you Bank Branch
You can also visit your home branch to find out your CIF number. Just visit the inquiry counter at your branch. Tell them your account number and make a request to the executive of the branch to tell you your CIF number.
Quick Video – SBI Anywhere App: Link Aadhaar to CIF
If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave a comment below.