Changing your name on passport might seem like a tedious thing. But it is not so difficult in actual. In this guide, we will take you to step by step on how to change name on passport after marriage.
- 1 Following Are The Steps To Change Your Name/Surname On Passport After Marriage:
- 2 Necessary Documents
Following Are The Steps To Change Your Name/Surname On Passport After Marriage:
Follow the steps given below to change your name or surname on your passport:
Step 1: Register Yourself On the Official Passport Seva Kendra Website
- Go to the official Passport Seva Kendra website.
- Click on “New User? Register Now” link which you will find on the left side of the page.
- You will be taken to a new page on which you will have to fill all your personal details like Name, Surname, Contact Number, DOB etc. Create your Login ID and Password and then click on Register.
- You will get a verification link on the email address you just provided on the earlier form. Click on that link by going into your email box and your account will be activated.
- Now login to your account and then click on “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport“.
Step 2: Fill Out The Online/Offline Application Form As Instructed
You have two options to file the application. These options are:
- Fill the entire form online and submit it immediately, OR
- First, download the online form in PDF format and then fill the form accordingly. Then, upload the XML version which is created of the same form online.
According to us, the first method is relatively easy. Although, the process until now is the same for re-issuing a passport for any other reason or to apply for a new passport. To get your name or surname changed in your passport, follow the below-given steps.
Step 3: Fill the Form
- When you start to fill the form, in the Service Required category, under Applying For, select the option “Re-issue of Passport” in the drop-down menu.
- For specifying the reason, select “Change in Existing Personal Particulars”. Multiple options will be displayed. Now, checkboxes for “Given Name”/“Surname” (either one or both as per your requirement). Fill all your following information carefully and make sure you make no mistakes. Submit this form after you have completed filling in your information correctly.
- If you decide to fill the offline form, then once you have filled the form correctly, click on “Validate and Save”. Also, save the XML document.
- Go back to your account on the website and upload this file and then submit it.
Step 4: Make Payment and Schedule Your Appointment
- Once you have submitted your form, click on the “View Saved/Submitted Applications” option which you will find on the left side of the page.
- You will find a radio (circular) button which will allow you to select your application when you click it. Then click on “Pay and Schedule Appointment” which will take you to the payment getway system.
- Make the payment and then book your appointment as per your comfort.
Note: The official Passport Seva Kendra website has declared that “it is mandatory to make the payment online to book your appointment at any Passport Seva Kendra (PSK). You can pay using your debit/credit card, internet banking, or SBI Bank Challan. You can check the rules here.
See Also : Common Immigration Interview Questions
Step 5: Visiting the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) as per your Appointment
- Before going to the PSK, take a print out of your application form by going to your account and click on “Print Application Receipt”. This form contains your Application Reference Number(Appointment Number) and payment information. Make sure you take a clear printout so that there are no errors while printing and the bar code is clearly printed.
- Take all your original documents along with this printed application form when you visit the PSK. Reach the PSK at least 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
All your questions regarding the documents required during your verification at the Passport Seva Kendra are clearly answered on the Document Advisor page of the official website. As per the requirement, you will have to the following documents with you for changing your name or surname on your passport after marriage:
- Your earlier original passport.
- Two photocopies of the first two and last two pages of your older passport with your own signatures. And also a photocopy of ECR/Non-ECR(ECNR) page with your signature on it.
- Observation page (if any) made by the Passport Issuing authority.
- If it is a short validity passport then Validity extension page (if any).
- If in the Non-ECR(ECNR) category, then bring the documentary proof for the same.
- If you have a spouse, then bring a photocopy of the spouse’s passport with their signature on it.
These required documents may vary depending on the reason for re-issuing the passport or for a new passport. Therefore, do check the document advisory page (link given above) to take all the documents required for you at the PSK.
This is how you can change your name or surname in your passport after marriage in India. Hope you found this guide helpful. If you have any queries or suggestions, then please leave a comment below.